Tuesday 4 January 2011

First Sign of a Problem

The early stages of my pregnancy felt no different to my first child, Phoebe.  I took it for granted that everything would be ok with the baby - I think maybe you do when you've had one normal pregnancy and a healthy baby - well I did anyway.  It's strange though, very early in the pregnancy, I had a feeling something wasn't right.  There were no physical signs that gave me any reason to think this but it was just a gut instinct, or maternal instinct I guess.  I didn't tell anyone what I'd felt, not even Lee - I just dismissed it as me being silly and imagining things, little did I know!  I went for my 12 week scan in early January and everything looked fine. The baby's heart was beating and I felt an overwhelming sense of amazement and love for this little being that already had a beating heart at just 12 weeks.  There's very little they can see at 12 weeks, it's really just a dating scan, so we came away happy and I had no reason to be concerned about anything. 

I was really excited about the 20 week scan.  You get to have a proper look at the baby and it's little fingers, toes, face and so on.  It's just an amazing thing to experience and sometimes hard to believe the miracle that is happening inside you.

The Sonographer had a good look round and ticked all the relevant boxes that she needed to.  She seemed to take quite a while around the heart but I thought nothing of it really, although I did wonder why it was taking her so long.  At the end of the scan, she told us that she wasn't able to see all 4 chambers of the baby's heart.  She put this down to the baby lying funny and just not getting a clear view.  She asked us to come back in a week so that she could tick the final box on her list .....

1 comment:

  1. Very sorry for your loss. Words can't express how it feels to lose a child. May God grant you some peace of mind until you are reunited again.

    ReplyDelete